My Bookshelf

Monday 7 May 2012

The Avengers on Screen

Strictly speaking, this is not a 'book' post so to speak. However, I'm going to justify it anyway. The Avengers are, first and foremost, comic BOOK characters and this week has been, for me, Avengers Week. I hope that this statement of awesome geekiness will allow you to forgive me for being very silent this week in terms of posts...
Anticipating Joss Whedon's Avengers Assemble I have been through all the Avengers films this week. From tongue-in-cheek Iron Man to shirt-splitting Hulk, from Shakespeare-tongued, hammer-swinging Thor to war hero Captain America.

I have to say I've enjoyed all of them. As much as I love Christopher Nolan and his Batman films and the amazingness that is Watchmen, it's so refreshing to see superhero films that don't take themselves so seriously. Admittedly some attractive protagonists are always a plus... but, beyond that, the effects are brilliant, the comedy is top quality and there are some fierce female characters.

Joss Whedon isn't a stranger to strong female characters... and his quote on the subject has become a well-known and hopefully a well-used one. When asked why he always writes such strong female characters he simply responded: "Because you're still asking me that question."

I'm not a big comic person and I've read very few graphic novels but I'm nearly always a fan of the films. That's probably going to get me in trouble... but it's true! One of my all-time favourite films are superhero movies but I can't claim to have read any of the books beforehand. It's an interesting topic though when considering book to film adaptation. You'd have thought that comic books and graphic novels, being a visual medium, would translate easily and perfectly onto camera but that's not necessarily true. How do you put real people in those costumes and yet keep the film stylised in the same way as the books, especially when it is so hard for a film-maker to refuse the realistic special effects and convincing fight scenes on offer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment