My Bookshelf

Sunday 17 June 2012

Assassin's Apprentice

Blurb: Born on the wrong side of the sheets, Fitz, son of Chilvary, is a royal bastard, cast out into the world, friendless and lonely. Only his magical link with animals - the old art known as the Wit - gives him solace and companionship. But the Wit, if used too often, is a perilous magic, and one abhorred by the nobility. So when Fitz is finally adopted into the royal household, he must give up his old ways and embrace a new life of weaponry, scribing, courtly manners; and how to kill a man secretly, as he trains to become a royal assassin.

So this book, Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, has a shiny silver cover - awesome. It's how all fantasy novels should be presented. Shiny and silvery and cool. I love the effect it has on people on the train on the way to work; there's something comforting that everyone really, deep down, oohs and ahhs at pretty sparkly things. Plus there's always a particular kind of male commuter that remains perplexed for the entire journey at the thought of a woman who reads fantasy...


Anyway, I'd say that the cover was one of my favourite things about the book which isn't always a good sign. I did find the writing at times a little embarrassing and it is pretty much a staple plot - bastard child gets taught how to be chivalric and use swords and poisons and whatnot. Saying that, that's exactly why I picked it up and for that reason it didn't entirely disappoint.

It was a bit ridiculous but fun and any fantasy novel needs a bit of the ridiculous... The main character, Fitz, as often is the case in any novel, fantasy or otherwise, is not the most interesting character but the narrative voice is consistent and keeps everything clear and ticking over. Personally, his dog is my favourite... but there are plenty of characters to choose from; bitter noblemen, loyal keepers, crazy old women, anxious kings in waiting and some love interests along the way.

At the heart of this book is a constant threat posed by the Outislanders, the Red Ship Raiders. They are attacking the Farseer kingdom's coastline and the affected villagers never seem quite the same again... It's that, for me, that keeps everything interesting. Hobb gets across the fear across and the Outislanders complete spontaneity - when and where will they hit next?

The best judgement has to be taken from whether or not I want to read the next two books in the trilogy. I think I probably will, yes. But not straight away. I need a break from the Farseers but it's a bit of fun that I may well return to and when I do, I'll let you know how I  get along!

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment