My Bookshelf

Friday 10 August 2012

Chariots of Fire


I'm aware that this really isn't anything about books but in my brain, for every film and stage production... there's a screenplay and that's like, practically a book really isn't it? Ok I'll stop trying to justify... and just say that last night I went off to see Chariots of Fire on stage and loved it.

Amazingly I ended up with tickets right on the stage. Now, you may think that just means row A or a box, but nonononono. Our seats literally formed the back of the stage so that we were looking out at the rest of the audience, as if we ourselves were the actors. Naturally my sister and I panicked somewhat that we may be spotted yawning at an inopportune moment or inadvertently flash the audience in our summer dresses... 

After the stage fright dispelled, though, we were able to enjoy what felt like a thoroughly interactive stage performance, with actors running in front of us, behind us, around us at full speed to the sound of Vangelis's famous theme. Anyone that's been watching the Olympics this year will know that tune off by heart by now but it really is the perfect choice to elicit those patriotic emotions. Together with the great acting, screenplay and set design, the whole audience found themselves applauding the wins and sighing with disappointment at each loss as if it were a real Olympic stadium.

To receive their applause the cast changed out of their 1924 kit and paraded the stage in the 2012 Team GB sportswear and quite frankly I was pretty jealous. I could do with one of those, I thought. Surely wearing the Olympic kit would make me exercise more. With that kit and Vangelis on my iPod, I'm set for Olympic stardom... see you in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment