My Bookshelf

Friday 21 September 2012

Mudlarks at the Bush


"It's not like it used to be, you know," she whispered, eyeing up some 'youths' making their way down the Uxbridge Road. "Every time I walk out me 'ouse I think I'm going to be raped," she rasped. "Shepherd's Bush is not friendly any more..." "Is it not?" I ask innocently, while wondering if my silent pleas might see my boss reappear a little quicker. At this point the old woman pushed herself upwards against her frame until she was uncomfortably close to my face. Then, when I thought the situation couldn't get any more awkward, she paused. That deadly device of social witchery. Then: "Don't get too drunk," she spat. Now I know what you're thinking: Shepherd's Bush really knows how to woo a girl.
On my way home, I considered that perhaps playwright Vickie Donoghue had experienced one of these strange but admittedly not all that uncommon conversations herself. Her debut play, Mudlarks, expresses honestly the unsettling reality of youth culture that she has experienced growing up:
On the muddy banks of the River Thames, downstream from the bright lights of London, three boys hide from the police after a night of thrilling recklessness. Over the course of the freezing night their fears, secrets and dreams emerge, collide and combust revealing the desperate frustration of lives barely led but already ravaged.
With the play's gritty honesty comes sadness, with Donoghue particularly dwelling on themes of wasted potential and split allegiances. But, as with so many British plays, Donoghue cleverly weaves in humour that had the audience audibly laughing even at the most depressing points in the plot.
The play isn't subtle, you don't come out wondering what it was all about. I found that kind of refreshing, though, and I was really impressed overall. The acting, the writing, the set were all fantastic and I found myself completely gripped. Would definitely recommend it, but perhaps avoid on celebratory  occasions... amusingly on this particular trip I was tagging along at someone else's birthday present. Not quite the 'larks' that the gift-giver had in mind I don't think!
What made the whole evening even nicer was being able to enjoy the revamped Bush Theatre, which has moved round the corner from the Green and now has loads of places to sit and have a drink/coffee/quiet read throughout the day.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment