My Bookshelf

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Le Bal des Ardents


Le Bal des Ardents is a bookshop in the centre of the beautiful French city of Lyon. Lyon is located halfway between cultural Paris and sun-kissed Marseilles and so, naturally, will always be fighting for its own recognition... but I think this little bookshop is holding up, at least, Lyon's literary reputation, quite literally, pretty well all by itself. Nothing like this health-and-safety-law-defying arch of books to draw in some trade. I'd just love to be there the moment one man absent-mindedly browsing the books and thinking Oooh Victoooiiiireee 'Ugooo, removing a fat copy of Les Mis, only for the whole Arch de Literary Triumph come tumbling down around him.

Ignore my appalling French accent. I spend most of my spare time day dreaming of being transformed into Marion Cotillard. Naturally it's only my accent that lets me down...

Anyway
, this bookshop looks marvelous and next time I find myself in Lyon, I will make my way here and see if this architectural triumph is still standing. The name is peculiar, though. Le Bal des Ardents, meaning 'The Fiery Ball' (ball as in a 'dance'), takes its name randomly from the Dance of the Burning Men, or the Dance of the Savages, a 1393 masquerade ball where Charles VI of France performed along with five other noblemen. A torch brought in by one of the audience, coincidentally the King's brother, set four of the men on fire. Turns out it wasn't the best publicity for the King's court and only exacerbated public belief that the court was a decadent disgrace. Anyway, noooo idea why this was chosen as the name but it sounds and looks awesome.

If you're lucky enough to live in Lyon or nearby and haven't yet been in here, I suggest you do and let me know what it's like. Although I could just spend my days looking at their 'virtual tour'... because I'm that awesome.

17 Rue Neuve
69001
Lyon
France

No comments:

Post a Comment