My Bookshelf

Thursday 21 November 2013

What does this tell us about the state of the world?


Bet you were thinking wow, this blog's gone a bit intellectual, a bit philosophical one might even say. Afraid that day hasn't come quite yet. The title of this blog post refers to the news revealed a couple of days ago about the Oxford English Dictionary Word of 2013 being awarded to... the "Selfie".

Dear dear dear. Flashing images of my 13 year-old self desperately trying to catch myself in the frame as I my camera out in front of my trying to create a suitable "selfie" (sorry I just can't not use quote marks for this word..." for my myspace page. You know, the kind that says intelligent but not dull, pretty but not sexy, not self-conscious but not narcissistic either. If I could talk to my 13 year-old self I would tell her right now. 1) Not possible, honey. 2) STOP TAKING PHOTOS OF YOURSELF and 3) If you are going to take photos of yourself, wait a few years when they invent cameras on the front of your phone so you don't look like even more of a moron taking the photo as you do posting it to your facespacewitter page.

Nice little wordy nugget for you there. I'll leave you with this bewildering yet genius article highlighting some of the other words that have made it into the OED hall of fame - and yes, "twerking" is there. All I can say is thank you OED for providing me a distributable link for the next time someone asks me what it means... scarred. for. life.
OED words 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment