My Bookshelf

Monday 21 April 2014

Small World Books at Venice Beach


Most people I've found have been horrified on my behalf at the thought of going home to London after four days in idyllic Fiji. But I'm not horrified. I love London - it's buzzy, it's ever-changing, ever-moving, and there's always something new to do. There are also a lot of great bookshops. So landing in Los Angeles, as much as I was dreading it, I felt so happy to be back into the swing. Even more happy when I found Small World Books tucked away on the Venice Beach boardwalk.

I miss the way Waterstones in the UK used to have the individually written reviews from the booksellers there. People who loved books sharing their favourite reads with other people who love books. That last sentence, or even paragraph, probably wouldn't look out of place on a list of
Gwyneth Paltrow's Top 20 most pretentious comments (worth a read by the way)... but it's true. And this bookshop does that! It's so exciting! You walk in and you can't help but pick up books because they have their little white cards popping out of them.

There's not all that much to say about this shop, it's just a lovely place to be, a sanctuary away from the madness of Easter Weekend on Venice Beach. Oh and they have a cat! Love. It.


Small World Books
1407 Ocean Front Walk
Venice, CA 90291

310-399-2360

No comments:

Post a Comment