My Bookshelf

Sunday 7 April 2013

Third Finger, Left Hand


Sisters Niamh and Grace haven't spoken in years, but now Niamh is dying and seeking forgiveness. In a final attempt of reconciliation the sisters meet, reliving the turbulence of their upbringing amid the exhilarating sounds of the 1970s Northern Soul scene, but can old wounds be healed before time runs out?

I don't know how many of you were/are CBBC kids - with the wonders that were Byker Grove, Animorphs, Fairly Odd Parents - but I was. So when my sister announces that Imogen Stubbs (RADA graduate, top RSC actress, ex-wife of Trevor Nunn and, most importantly, cast member of CBBC's Big Kids...) was to star in Third Finger, Left Hand, a play we had tickets for on Friday, we got all excited with nostalgia. Especially as the play was being performed in Trafalgar Studios' tiny three-row shoebox theatre.

And 'nostalgia' really is the right word to use I think as this play follows the highs and lows in the relationship of two sisters. Being very close with my own sister, I particularly enjoyed the play's exploration of that relationship - both the funny and the more touching side.

I've got to say it did take me half an hour or so to get into it. There are just two actresses, Stubbs and Amanda Daniels, in the entire play and yet there are three, four times as many characters, which they both drop in and out of when required. As a result, I felt at times it was necessary for the actresses to over-act, and with the elder sister already having a big personality, in that tiny room it became a little much.

Once I got into it, though, I was just astounded by how cleverly and seamlessly the actresses slipped in and out of characters without any costume or set change to aid the alternations. While I didn't find myself drying tears at the end, it was very touching and I really enjoyed it. You just can't go wrong at the Trafalgar Studios so do get yourself tickets for the next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment