My Bookshelf

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Twelve Bar Blues


Spanning three continents and two centuries, Twelve Bar Blues is an epic tale of fate, family, friendship and jazz. At its heart is Lick Holden, a young jazz musician, who sets New Orleans on fire with his cornet at the beginning of the last century. But Lick's passion is to find his lost step-sister and that's a journey that leads him to a place he can call 'home'. Meanwhile, at the other end of the century, we find Sylvia, an English prostitute, and Jim, a young drifter. They're in search of Sylvia's past, lost somewhere in the mists of the Louisiana bayou.

Last Christmas I asked my mum for the kind of book that spans quite a stretch of time, multiple generations. I appreciate that may seem an odd request but I just soak that stuff up... House of the Spirits, The Stranger's Child etc. Anyway, mum bought me this: Twelve Bar Blues by Patrick Neate.


Moving past the bizarre drawings on the front, I quickly got into the narrative of early twentieth century New Orleans. At first I was a little unsure about how successful Neate would be, being a white man, when it follows the lives of, almost entirely, black characters. As soon as you start reading, though, you forget about it entirely. It therefore doesn't surprise me at all that this book has had its praises sung by readers and critics alike; Neate must be doing something right. 


I completely fell for the world of 1920s New Orleans - its jazzy, dangerous, smoky 'ness'. By no means is New Orleans paradise with would-be Glee cast members and glitzy cocktails but Neate gives the city a vivacity and its characters a realness and ambition that is, oddly, enviable.


The tension created by constant threats simmering beneath the surface keeps everything moving but so does the music and the touching relationships that you can't help but root for, however unorthodox or controversial.


I definitely recommend this book, particularly if you're like to travel to lots of different places and times as you read.. Three continents, three different eras and several generations later and I'm satisfied that my mum fulfilled my Christmas wish!

8.5/10

1 comment:

  1. Hip hop loves you back.
    Check out www.BiggaFiggaMedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete