My Bookshelf

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Midnight in Paris


Gil is a talented but frustrated writer in Hollywood. On a holiday in Paris with his wife, Inez, and her parents, Gil seeks inspiration for is magnum opus in its winding streets, cobbled riverside paths and European charm. As his in-laws become less and less in tune with the European city, Gil increasingly realises he is in the hub of European creativity. This becomes very literal when Gil, baffled by his in-laws disinterest in their surroundings, stumbles across time barriers and finds himself walking into his favourite era, the 1920s, amongst the writers, musicians and artists he idolises.


Now I know what you're thinking - I shouldn't reeeeeally list this as a book review, I know, because it's a film blah blah blah but it couldn't be more literary so I'm going to do it anyway! Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen's latest flick, came out on DVD on Monday and I will be quick to add it to my Amazon wishlist because, quite simply, it's bloody brilliant! Beautifully shot, filled with humour and has a phenomenal cast: Rachel McAdams, Owen Wilson, Marion Cotillard, Michael Sheen, Tom Hiddleston and even French first lady, Carla Bruni.

I suppose one of the reasons I loved this film was because it was such a pleasant surprise. I was interested in watching it because the cast was good and Woody Allen is a legend - I had no idea what the plot was. I went to see it on a second date and probably was a pretty rubbish companion because I couldn't move  beyond talking about the film and all my book-geekiness came out in full force. I, myself, love the 1920s - one of my favourite eras in history, music, literature, fashion, art and so on. The thought of drinking cocktails with Cole Porter and the Fitzgeralds or sharing a cab with Ernest Hemingway was just too much for my geeky brain!


Aside from the book references, it's really very funny! I was laughing out loud at the characterisation, the sudden plot changes and the witty dialogue and I believe even my date for the night enjoyed it, despite the more book-related jokes mostly slipping him by.


Go watch it! This film got 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment