My Bookshelf

Saturday 27 April 2013

Book Slam: Will Self, Patrick Ness

Book Slam
Photo of Patrick Ness Photo of Will Self Photo of George Ezra


There aren't many events that can get me to Clapham on a 'school night'. Sorry Claphamites.. I know you are many... I appreciate it's mostly irrational, I just don't really like Clapham. But I do like books, and I like books more than I don't like Clapham, so it all turned out ok on Thursday as I made my way to the delightful Clapham Grand for the latest Book Slam. Phew. Because it was such a good night!

Book Slam is "the brainchild of superstar musical maverick, Ben Watt, and author, Patrick Neate (of Twelve Bar Blues fame). The evening's format, I'm told, changes slightly each time but essentially Book Slam asks top writers to read from their work, with each segment separated by a generous interval so that you can get a refill and this is all topped off by a short set from a musician. We had the sickeningly talented George Ezra. Don't let his fresh-faced Bristolian adorableness throw you, though... "this boy got sooouuulll" and he can write a damn good song.

Anyway, back to books. "If you can think of a smarter literary pairing, we'll eat your comedy fez," was the challenge set by Book Slam this evening. And fair doos - our literary entertainers for the evening were American-born author and twice Carnegie Medal winner, Patrick Ness, and none other than Man Booker short-listee, Will Self.  And our host for the evening? Comedian and writer Dominic Frisby, kept things ticking over, making sure the evening didn't get too seriously intellectual and generally maintaining a chilled, fun and unpretentious tone, which I much appreciated. 

You couldn't help but like Ness, with his modesty and nervous humour. He read from his latest novel, The Crane Wife, which I did enjoy - this guy can write. Although Carnegie arguably already knew that... twice. As much as I liked Ness, I found myself more wanting to give him a congratulatory hug than buy his novel I'm afraid, although it was beautifully written and had an intriguing, original concept.

Ego
I don't know what you've heard about Will Self or if you've read any of his stuff? I hadn't read any but I know a number of, mostly men, who worship this dude... I also know a lot of people who think he is a complete and utter knob... For want of a more fitting, eloquent phrase worthy of such literary royalty. When he came out on stage, though, all I could think was - IT'S THE FOOD CRITIC FROM RATATOUILLE!

Look him up. You know I'm right. Anyway, that high-brow comparison aside, the two things I came away thinking from seeing Will Self at Book Slam: 1) I will most likely never buy his latest book, Umbrella, as my poor limited brain would probably see me age a hundred years trying to wade through its dense jungle of metaphors, while accumulating uncountable paper-cuts from franticly flicking through my much-needed dictionary... 2) Will Self is surely, first and foremost, a performer. His short-story reading from Liver was a masterclass in bringing a story to life - completely loved it.

That was a rather long rambling post and now I don't know how to finish it so I'm just going to leave it there but you should all keep an eye on the Book Slam website because it travels around and there's always something good coming up. Next time? The Birdcage in Bristol on 2nd May.

No comments:

Post a Comment