My Bookshelf

Tuesday 7 May 2013

London Literature Festival 2013


It's been a while, my apologies - all I can say is that my life has been a little less full of books over the last week and a little more filled with, well, wine, dancing like Beyonce, sunshine, a whole lot of food and all, often, at the same time. That aside, people, I am back and what do I have for you? Only the London Literature Festival programme!

Brace yourself if you have a tendency to get a little over-excited - there is definitely potential for some Beatle mania, only with no Beatles... and to be honest probably not much mania around the usual Southbank clientele... anyway, the festival will be at London's Southbank Centre and feature two literary prize readings (
2013 Man International Booker Prize Readings and the Women’s Prize for Fiction Readings) as well as conversations with fiction royalty Barbara Kingsolver, Lionel Shriver, Dalrymple, Audrey Niffenegger... and Rupert Everett. Thought I'd just slip him in there even though he probably doesn't quite qualify as literary royalty, but he does have a book out so he's earned his place.

Claire Tomalin's publicist has gone a little crazy and signed her up for five lectures on literary figures from Thomas Hardy to her latest subject, Charles Dickens, to Jane Austen who would have been celebrating
Pride and Prejudice's 200th anniversary this year.

Other things you can expect include plays, graphic novels and a whole lotta poetry... which I'm afraid I will be largely avoiding because not even an English Literature degree has raised by brow high enough to pay for poetry. I would probably pay to see Keats, or Eliot, or Hardy - that might be worth seeing... especially as it would likely involve a very dramatic awakening from the dead which would be pretty original entertainment in itself.

I really shouldn't be so mean about poetry, I'm sure there's loads of good stuff on if the non-fiction and fiction line-up is anything to go by. Check out the entire programme here, but be quick - tickets are vanishing quickly.

Some other relevant posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment