My Bookshelf

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Bonkers: Jennifer Saunders at the Royal Festival Hall


Jennifer Saunders can now add 'wrote a probably bestselling autobiography', 'interviewed by Clare Balding' and 'filled out the Royal Festival Hall' to her disgustingly long list of achievements. Doesn't she think someone else might like a chance?

Jennifer Saunders is the latest of a series of comedians to turn their mind to writing a book. Not fiction like friend and co-writer, Dawn French, but a long-awaited autobiography. Bonkers: My Life in Laughs will be released tomorrow on Super Thursday but last night Saunders gave the Royal Festival Hall a taster. The book will give us an insight into everything from writing her award-winning comedy series to battling breast cancer.

Jennifer Saunders recounted a series of anecdotes that had the whole hall shaking with laughter and Clare Balding charmingly kept everything moving along brilliantly, batting away a few awkward moments with ease.

I wasn't 100% sure of the best way to blog about this event - I obviously don't want to give you a blow by blow account of every story Saunders told... largely because I can't even begin to tell them as well as her... but I have to say, that really was the structure of the evening. I wouldn't say Saunders was a natural conversationalist but you're nothing but a cold, dull fish if you didn't enjoy the evening. I have concluded that the best way to sum up the evening was to tell you what I took away from it and that way you may also get an idea of the book...

1. Jennifer Saunders is a massive country music fan, loves Dolly Parton and has actually met her. Not sure if I've been more jealous.

2. 
All showbiz success stories start with living room performances to a reluctant audience. I just knew I should have kept up those impromptu Abba concerts I gave...

3. Everyone has a terrifying teacher at school but Saunders' headmistress (who was actually taken to court by parents for excessive caning of their mischievous teen) might help us heal at least a little of our own emotional bruising from simply terrifying teachers.

I guess my final point has to be whether I will buy the book. My answer is - not in hardback (only JK can make me do that) but the paperback must be worth buying just for Saunders' generous supply of hilarious photos, including some fantastic early French and Saunders shots...

No comments:

Post a Comment