My Bookshelf

Thursday 10 October 2013

Super Thursday 2013


One of my big secrets in life is that I'm a celebrity nut. Ok, so that sounds like a giant cashew or something but hopefully you get my meaning. I love all the Hollywood gossip even though I know the Metro's Guilty Pleasures section, ONTD and Perez Hilton are all gradually destroying each of my braincells one by one. When it comes to celebrity autobiographies like Jennifer Saunders' yesterday, though, sometimes I wonder if there are just too many.

Today is what publishing folk like to call Super Thursday. It's the day (usually a Thursday funnily enough) when all the big books of the autumn are released. The ones that will be sat under the tree in, publishers hope, millions of houses on Christmas Day and all ultimately dreaming that they will be the ones to beat Jamie fricking Oliver to the number 1 spot.

Just some of the books hitting the shelves today include autos by Jennifer Saunders, Sharon Osbourne, David Jason, John Bishop, Mo Farah, Rachel Khoo and Harry Redknap. Leading the fiction is, of course, Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones sequel,
Mad About the Boy.

Back to the biographies, though, I have to say I feel relieved that this year shows people who have actually lived more than 18 years. That aside, though, I wonder whether these people have anything interesting to say. Admittedly I'm only in my twenties but the thought of putting together a book about my life bores
me, let alone the poor idiots who read it. For instance, Sharon Osbourne - this is her third auto. I'm sure her life is far more interesting than mine but is it really three times more interesting?

Anyway, it seems celebrity autobiographies and cookbooks will continue to be published in their masses - we'll just have to see which ones actually fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment