My Bookshelf

Thursday 28 March 2013

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay


Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.

It’s all done. I have finished the Hunger Games trilogy. I thought it was really pretty good stuff. The plot is stellar with lots of excitement in this tranche of the story and, finally, I actually like Katniss. I know; it was a momentous breakthrough read.

Previously, and sometimes in this book too to be honest, Katniss just came across a little arrogant and always acting the martyr, which I find a little tiring… “Oh how will anyone be able to live if I do not protect them?” This time, though, a mixture of influences let me see that she’s not really that bad. First influence? My sister. She sat me down and explained the complexities of her character, what drives her and pointed out that really there were quite a lot of reasons why Katniss might not have turned out to be the most appealing person – extreme tragedy in her childhood, having to be an adult for her family since she was a tiddler, oh and the whole being forced to leave home and kill loads of people… so I start to sympathise.

Second influence? The writing just isn’t amazing, ok? So her narration was never going to get off to a good start. Don’t get me wrong, and I’ve said this before, amazing writing isn’t the primary concern for a kids book, but it did let Katniss down in this one aspect, I felt.

Third influence? Watching the film because Jennifer Lawrence is just so blooming awesome that there is no way anyone with a heart couldn’t like her. Simples.

Now, to the plot: No Hunger Games this time (for whatever reason you want to assume, people who have not read it) but that is not to the detriment of the action, I promise you. The Gale/Peeta conundrum heats up. President Snow is still an absolute a-hole. It’s all go go go! What I think I liked most about Mockingjay was the increased focus on Panem’s politics.

Overall I felt that although I was perhaps cruel about the writing and unfair on Katniss and her predicament in the first couple of books, the trilogy really is a masterpiece of imagination. Most importantly, it feels like it really could be real. I think that must be the key to the success of the top fantasy franchises – be it Potter, Twilight or Hunger Games – you have to believe these people exist and that the threats are very real. Suzanne Collins, for me, does this entirely.


Really enjoyed this and nothing like taking a break from the world of adult books for a bit. Really shout do it more often… Mockingjay gets 8/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment