My Bookshelf

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby


The wait is finally over - Baz Luhrmann's Gatsby has finally graced our screens to be met with, shall we say, mixed reviews... The main criticisms seem to be 1) it is overly glitzy, with too much focus on the roaring twenties parties. 2) Not enough of the novel's darkness and 3) not enough 'emotion' and sadness.

I can't say I'm surprised. Take a much-loved book written nearly 100 years ago and then make a film in 3D with Leonardo Di Caprio... you're
never going to please the critics. That said, I'm a big Gatsby fan, and I loved this film. The glitz and the glamour was there, sure, they had to be. All I wanted to do was go out on a wild New York night out, drink myself silly and negotiate my way home without falling into the lake... arguably that wasn't really the reaction they wanted but it really does look so fun.

As for the novel's darkness, from just the trailer I could see Luhrmann had injected a whole lot more darkness than any of the film's predecessors. It was the darkness that I was excited for and I didn't feel disappointed.

The emotion was there, too. All helped by fantastic performances from both Leo. The casting in general, I have to say, was spot on. Tobey Maguire was definitely my Nick Carraway, Tom Buchanan was so brilliantly evil, Isla Fisher was just, well, unrecognisable and wonderful as Myrtle and Carey Mulligan was so perfect for Daisy, it's hard to see how she could have been so difficult to cast! The only person I felt did not match the image in my head, was Leonardo Di Caprio himself. Luckily Leo, for me, can't do any wrong and this was no exception. And for once his baby face was a complete asset! You could completely believe Gatsby's wide-eyed hopefulness and childlike fascinations/obsessions.

Everything was then polished off and brought to life by the genius jazz/hip hop fusion soundtrack, which has arguably received far more attention than the film itself and saw Jay Z receive an Executive Producer credit. Florence and the Machine, Lana Del Ray, The XX, will.i.am, Jack White, Beyonce and Jay Z himself plus more... and loads of original songs. Impressive doesn't quite cover it.


What really had to win me round, though, was the 3D malark. Bleh, I really can't be dealing with it - gives you headaches all for the sake of not very much. This, however, I have to say, worked. It didn't distract me and it really added to Baz Luhrmann's theatrical vision for this iconic story.



Highlight? Gatsby's cream jumper. If anyone can find this exact item of clothing, get in touch... there is no reward greater than my appreciation...



If you don't like Baz Luhrmann, don't see it. If you read The Great Gatsby yesterday, again probably don't see it (no use going to see a film being able to pick out every single discrepancy), if you hated Moulin Rouge, don't see it. If none of these apply, GO SEE IT. It's a real feast.

Relevant posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment