My Bookshelf

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Bookseller Industry Awards

The Random House Group
When Jennifer Lawrence (yes - her again, I'm trying to increase my blog's key words ok?) won her Oscar, I got myself into a bit of a bate. As amazing as I was starring in The Happy Prince aged 5, there is no way I'm going to find myself on that stage at the Kodak Theatre collecting my Best Actress Oscar any time soon. Furthermore, it's not like there are any opportunities to win stuff (not that that is my sole prerogative...) in my industry unless I actually write a book myself. That is, to be fair, a lie as there are the Bookseller Industry Awards so what I really meant was - there's no opportunity to be flooded with offers from top designers to dress the nominees for a red-carpet occasion. That aside, if you win a Bookseller Industry Award, that's still pretty cool.


This year publishing giant Random House received Publisher of the Year. BookScan figures show the publishing company to have earnet a massive £47.3m from E L James' Fifty Shades trilogy, making them the 3 bestselling novels last year. And just to rub it in, Random House managed to also stack up 28 number 1 bestsellers and 70 prizes. Give credit where it's due n' all that...

Other winners include, perhaps unsurprisingly, 4th Estate (HarperCollins) and editor Nicholas Pearson who is behind Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies, which has continued to dominate the chart in paperback upon its release last week. Foyles walked away with their 2nd National Bookseller of the Year Award and Pottermore was awarded Digital Strategy of the Year. Arguably no surprises, but it's nice to see that you can still do plenty of exciting things in modern publishing, even without the red carpet events...

No comments:

Post a Comment