My Bookshelf

Thursday 19 January 2012

Hello Hello!

So let me tell you a little bit about me. I'm a twenty-something born-and-bred Londoner. After graduating from Cardiff University in English Literature and after several months of temping and doing work experience for various London publishing houses, I'm now working for a small literary agency.

Don't worry, I'm not about to drag you reluctantly through paragraphs of bookseller lingo and the ins and outs of our office photocopier. Although I did find out the other day that it STAPLES stuff. Awesome. Anyway, as I promised, I'm not going to bore you with my job but it does identify one of my favourite past-times and the main focus of this blog - reading. Although I read a lot for work, like everyone else I crave holidays where I can finally sit down and attack that novel I bought optimistically from Amazon the independent book store on the corner, along with that exercise DVD I just had to have... 


More often than not I try to snatch some precious reading time on my train to and from work. I'm not a quick reader, as some people may assume after a 3 year literature course... it can take me
ages, especially in the tranquility of an inner-city train carriage. As a result, for my commuter reads, I tend to pick novels under 450 pages... It sounds a bit specific and an odd thing to say for someone who claims to love reading but if it takes much longer than 2 weeks to read, I get bored, no matter how good the book is! I tend to read books rather than writers and am always up for taking recommendations. I also started up my own book club, which (so far) is going really well.

Other than reading, I love doing the usual things: cinema, gigs, seeing friends, going shopping and generally spending money that I don't have. I'm a big Harry Potter geek, books and films, and I have been known to watch trashy sci-fi... Hopefully facts such as these will make you realise that this blog is not likely to be a particularly intellectual project... I like a boogie as good as the next Beyonce lookalike but I'm more of a pub/bar girl to be honest. Also equally happy sat on the sofa with a hot drink watching the delights of Downton Abbey, Misfits, Glee, Supernatural and the wonderful invention that is British crime shows... I am still mourning Waking the Dead...


Oh, and one more thing, I'm a red head...

4 comments:

  1. This is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'd love to follow your blog but I'm having a hard time finding that little button which will allow me to do so. I blame my eyes. Anyway, I'd love to be able to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - thanks for trying to follow! Your eyes are all fine so not to worry - I removed that feature a while back as people generally preferred email or twitter but have added it again. You can find it bottom left, below the posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Thanks, I'm a bit of an unreliable tweeter, so this is by far easier.

    ReplyDelete