My Bookshelf

Monday 23 January 2012

The Riots: is there much left to write about?

Tonight I went to see a talk given by Paul Lewis (Guardian) about the riots last summer and the subsequent research project he is working on with LSE. Really impressive research, great talk and loads of great questions at the end. If you get the chance to see @PaulLewis speak, I'd definitely recommend it. He's obviously passionate and was kind enough to respond to a question I later asked him via Twitter about rioter remorse.

I'd love to see him write a book but that's not to say there aren't already some great looking books out there on the subject of riots, centring around those that happened just 6 months ago. I shamefully haven't read any of these myself but tonight's talk made me realise that it doesn't matter how much you hear about something, how much you think you know, if something is as dramatic, confusing and fascinating as the 2011 riots, reading, listening and learning about it will always be worth doing. Paul Lewis showed some of the research they had collected and it was amazing to see the distance between the causes that the rioters described and those that the general public and the media were reporting.


I'd be really interested to know if anyone has read either of the two books below or any other good reads on the subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment