My Bookshelf

Friday 20 January 2012

Kate Winslet and Kenneth Branagh off to Guernsey

My trusty source, Guardian Books, has revealed that Kenneth Branagh is to direct a film adaptation of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows (Bloomsbury, 2008). Kate Winslet will be in the starring role, making it the first time the two have paired up together since Branagh directed Winslet in his version of Hamlet in 1996 (fantastic film, actually - go see!).
I'm so excited! I really loved this book and my mum's family grew up in the Channel Islands so it felt kind of familiar when reading it. It's set in the aftermath of World War 2 and follows a collection of letters between Juliet, a journalist in London, and the members of the oddly-named Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's such a lovely read - really uplifting and has some great characters. I was a bit sceptical at first - I'm not a big fan of reading books constructed from letters - but it totally works and you become totally involved.


So, if you're the kind of person who likes to read the book  before seeing the film - get reading :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/13/kate-winslet-kenneth-branagh-adaptation

No comments:

Post a Comment