My Bookshelf

Friday 27 January 2012

Stanfords, Long Acre


Stanfords is a well-known travel shop on London's Long Acre, near Covent Garden. It's huge and filled to the brim with maps of places all over the country and the world. It also supplies travel books, accessories, stationary and a great selection of books.

Most of the times that I've been in this shop, I've gone to just have a poke around and see what oddities I might find, book-related or not. There was also the time I went in there to buy a map of Uzbekistan...

You may wonder, though, why you would go to Stanfords to buy a book, when London is full of much more widely stocked bookshops and libraries. What makes Stanfords different is that its bookshelves are organised into countries. If you're about to head off to Eastern Europe, Thailand, Mid-West America, Spain or even Yorkshire, why not take a book with you that's set in your very destination?? Yes, that is a question I often ask myself...

It's a complete geek-fest in there but, honestly, it's great. You go in for a look around and end up coming out with a stash of books and an inflatable globe - what more could you want!

12 - 14 Long Acre, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9LP

www.stanfords.co.uk
Open until 8pm Mon-Sat!

No comments:

Post a Comment