My Bookshelf

Thursday 13 December 2012

Day 13: Coutts do Christmas


Every morning I walk myself from Charing Cross Station to where I work in Holborn. I could get the tube, I could get the bus, but I like walking and it lets me pass some of the very best sites in London every day. I take a glimpse of Trafalgar Square, St Martin's in the Fields, walk past the building where Dickens' blacking factory used to stand, stroll through Covent Garden and take in its lights, the tree, the huge reindeer and the freakishly giant baubles. I amble through Lincoln's Inn fields and Chancery Lane. I do all this but it all starts outside Coutts' window.

Coutts is one of those
super posh banks where you have to have a lot of money just to walk in the door. I have had meetings in rented out conference rooms in the building and each time I walk in I worry I'm about to be walked straight out again for wearing jeans with a very distinct pasta splodge on my top from my far from glamourous lunch... BUT, and I'm sure all Coutts members just love how their money is so wisely spent, Coutts' famous window display is nearly always great.

The window changes several times a year and normally advertises a particular charity, important awards events or some important people that we probably should know but don't. Whatever the cause, the display is normally pretty stellar but no more so than at Christmas. Last year's Rob Ryan design above is a fantastic example. This year, though, it's gone all literary so you can imagine I got pretty excited. Pretty rare for that time in the morning. It features a large old golden book, lying open as Christmassy words from some of the great writers jump out in gold from its centre. Top stuff so take a look if you're next on the Strand at the Coutts building, directly opposite Charing Cross Station.




Embedded image permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment