My Bookshelf

Friday 7 December 2012

Day 7: That Snowman Advert...



This year has been a fantastic year for Britain, I think we can all agree. The Queen's Diamond Jubilee saw a triumphant river pageant take to the Thames that epitomised the British strength (and/or insanity) - all of us up to the Queen herself - to stand, freezing cold, in the pouring rain in the middle of June, for hours to watch some boats. Then if that weren't enough, we only went and put on one of the greatest Olympic and Paralympic Games. Oh and we won some medals too. So I'm not here to just rave about Britain, as you can see, it can do that for itself, but all of this is going to challenge what us Brits hold so dearly - that stiff upper lip. Hell, even Andy Murray broke down in tears! Arguably we'd say he was letting down the team but then he went and beat Federer at the Olympics... so it was all fine.

Anyway, all this has left our stiff upper lip a little quivery and then the almighty John Lewis comes along and gives us THAT Christmas advert. If you don't know the one, let me enlighten you:




Now that looks like a pretty determined snowman I think you'll agree. There's no dancing about to Walking in the Air or galivanting with Father Christmas. Thus, perhaps unsurprisingly, the snowman's journey does not end there. Independent publisher, Nosy Crow, have jumped on the latest John Lewis ad and gone and made possibly the quickest children's book ever made. Just in time for Christmas. The book, which includes images from the advert along with prose written by Nosy Crow's MD Kate Wilson, hit stores on Saturday.

My first reaction was that I am not sure I have ever seen a more obvious money-making project. I am one of those people who likes to pretend that Christmas is not actually just a commercial scheme that draws money out of our pockets but this pretty much denies me that illusion. From the publishing side of things, how utterly inspired! Why didn't I think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment