My Bookshelf

Saturday 15 December 2012

Day 15: Literary Christmas Cards



So maybe you don't send Christmas cards, maybe you do. Maybe you should have sent cards but didn't. Maybe you would send Christmas cards if you knew when to stop and didn't end up every time having to stamp hundreds and hundreds of cards to people you would definitely not be in touch with any other time of year. Everyone has their own stance but in my view, I wish I bought more Christmas cards.

They look pretty, they're fun to browse and they are representative of that traditional form of communication (gotta love a bit of trad at Xmas) that I tend to be a big fan of on this blog: writing. I'm not saying we have to get all lyrical or write a short story or to each of our relatives but there's something nice about putting pen to paper rather than sending an e-card, a rushed facebook message or one of those generic texts that goes out to your entire phonebook on Christmas day because you thought they would just love to receive an unpersonalised reminder that yes, it is Christmas day and yup, we haven't spoken since you sent this exact same text last Christmas...


Anyway, I'm definitely not a Scrooge, I love Christmas and here are a few of my favourite cards that I've seen this year, although I've tried to keep it mostly literary themed...



Bookish Tree Christmas Card - £3
Buy

Bah Humbug Anti Christmas Card
Bah Humbug... Christmas Card - £3.25
Buy

fluffy felts reindeer christmas cardcandy land robin Christmas card ice queen stag scene christmas card
Paperchase is nearly always my go-to place for cards. I'm a particular fan of their fluffy reindeer, fat robin and beautiful Rob-Ryan-esque cut-out cards! I'm just sneaking these in... I'm sure there's something literary about them... isn't their a robin in Secret Garden? There we go.
Buy


'small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast' - The Comedy of Errors.
£4 - Shakespeare's Globe. Buy

Ok so I told you not to start writing poems to all your friends and family but that didn't mean you can't let Carol Ann Duffy do it for you. This card is part of the 'Poetry instead of a card' project at the Literary Gift Company. Each card has a theme and this is Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment